Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bonus: Boney M. Live In Concert 1979


The Show

A while ago I bought a pile of disco-dvd's on the internet.... When they arrived at my home and I watched them I almost fell off my chair: one of these dvd's contained a spectacular live concert from Boney M. from 1979!!! And what's more: the quality of the sound and image was fantastic!

Prior to this concert I had only seen two more complete shows of Boney M. performing totally live, the first one was the 1977 concert which is featured on the Fantastic Boney M. DVD, which has also fantastic image and sound, but in my oppinion suffers from one major flaw: Liz' microphone was set too low and Marcia's too high, which resulted in the ruining of two beautiful songs: "Still I'm Sad" and "When I Need You". And the second Boney M. live concert I saw was the famous concert from Dublin in 1978 that contained a spectacular tracklist and performance by Boney M. but seemed to be available only in very bad copies! (luckily somebody spoiled me last year and sent me a very decent copy of it; Thanks J.!). And then there is of course also the South African concert form the 80's with Reggie of which there are some clips to be found online.

The concert from 1979 that I found has sound and image that is very comparable to the 1977 concert from the Fantastic DVD, but actually it's even better! The girls are in top-shape and also Bobby does what he does best: dancing his ass off and growling like a mean motherf#cker!

After some examination I found out that the show originates from 1 november 1979 and was performed in Vienna (Austria). It seems that in those years the town of Vienna had an annual 1st of november festival in the "Wiener Stadt Halle" and in 1979 Boney M. was the main act. The show was recorded for Austrian television and was aired on the same day, that's where this copy comes from. (By the way: the 1977 show from the Fantastic dvd is credited to have been performed in Hamburg (Germany) but is very likely to have been recorded also at the same venue on 1 november 1977 instead)

The following songs are performed:

01. Let It All Be Music
02. Rasputin
03. Never Change Lovers In The Middle Of The Night
04. Do You Wanna Bump
05. Daddy Cool
06. Belfast
07. Sunny
08. I'm Born Again
09. El Lute
10. Gotta Go Home
11. No Woman No Cry
12. Rivers Of Babylon
13. Brown Girl In The Ring
14. Let It All Be Music

The whole concert lasts for a bit more than 1 hour and the groupmembers are wearing their Oceans Of Fantasy Outfits.

Here is a previewclip of "Brown Girl In The Ring":





The DVD

For the DVD I basically did the same as with the Love For Sale DVD: first I extracted the concert to my harddrive, then I ran it through a dvd-creating software program, together with a menu-picture and a loop I created from an instrumental part from "Bye Bye Bluebird", I added skip-through chapters and re-burned the whole thing to a disc, et voila: another great dvd!!!

N.B. When I first discovered this show I decided to sit on it because it was so very special and rare, but recent events (other fans sending me special and rare stuff, the passing of Bobby) have made me change my mind and I think it's time that everyone can see the magic of Boney M. perfoming live in concert!

11 comments:

  1. A good surprise for all the fans, surely, to find this great jewell.

    Thanks Frank for share it, and make us feel the magic of BoneyM in live, in their best years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. All the best from Poland. Andrzej

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eres genial, no hay forma de agradecerlo.
    Tu enciendes la llama de Boney M.
    Thanks Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Frank,
    This detail on your part is priceless, I had heard this concert live but never thought I would see it, much less that I would get this on DVD.
    I don´t know how to thank you for this great gift. You are my hero,

    Hugs
    Jesús Morga (JMORGAVIDEOMIX)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Frank,

    what else can I say that I have not already said but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ! This is such an amazing gift to us all and a treat to lift the heavy hearts of all Boney M fans after the recent passing of Bobby Farrell X

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome guys!!!

    I created a new dvd with fantastic artwork made by Tim and a different dvd-menu. Because of that I removed the original downloadlinks in this section of the comments and I added the downloadlinks for the new and even better dvd (including also a fabulous dvdcover and label) in the comments of the update above. If you've already downloaded the first version of this dvd I suggest you download this one as well because it will provide you with a more beautiful and complete package!!!

    Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tonight we sat on the couch my wife and son.
    We saw the concert and we were amazed.
    The entire concert is a jewel.The sound is very good.Totally live. My family raved with this concert. Thanks again for this great gift.
    You are all fantastic.
    Saludos a Chimo, John, Ton & for you.
    MIGUEL REDONDO CONSUEGRA (BoonoonoonoosMiguel)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much, this is a real treasure, I am very excited and hope you keep making us very happy to share more performances you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ( again ) Frank and Tim - ' Fantastic ' !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Frank. Here Remastering
    Sound of this concert. Simply you replace also all


    www.megaupload.com/?d=AL2Y5QBA
    Boney M Live in concert 1979 ac3 256.ac3
    111MB AC3 48000Hz Stereo 256Kbps

    ReplyDelete